B.Sc. Perfusion Technology
- Perfusion technology degree course is to provide a competent Cardiac Perfusionist who is well versed with modern technologies and up to date knowledge in patient care.
- A Perfusionist, also known as a clinical perfusionist or a cardiovascular perfusionist, is a specialized healthcare professional who uses the heart lung machine during cardiac surgery and other surgeries that require cardiopulmonary bypass to manage the patient’s physiological status. The perfusionist is a highly trained member of the cardiothoracic surgical team which consists of cardiac surgeons, anesthesiologists, physician assistants, surgical technologists and nurses.
- The perfusionist is solely responsible for the management of the physiological and metabolic needs of the cardiac surgical patient so that cardiac surgeon may operate on a still, unbeating heart.
- Other responsibilities include autologous blood collection and processing, implementation and management of the intra-aortic balloon pump, adult and infant extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), monitoring of anticoagulation, electrolyte, acid-base balance and blood-gas composition, placing and managing patients on ventricular assist devices as bridge to recovery or heart transplantation and supporting patients receiving lung or liver transplants and in procurement of cardiothoracic donor organs for transplantation.
- The goals of the Degree are diverse and include – development of professional standards for perfusion – enhancement of perfusion scope of practice – development of continuing education programs on national and regional levels – support of educational programs for entering perfusionists – scientific dissemination of knowledge.
After completion of the program the students be able to
- Conduct cardiopulmonary bypass using a heart-lung machine and other ancillary equipment.
- Closely monitor the patient’s blood flow and other vital signs during open heart surgery
- Administer intravenous fluids, blood products and anaesthetic drugs.
- Handle other life support equipment such as Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) ventricular assist devices (VAD) and Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP).
- They will be placed as Perfusion Technologist in cardiac speciality hospitals.